This afternoon our executive management unanimously approved my recommendation to go with Shelby Arena as our new church management system. Here are some of the high-level features and benefits that attracted us to Arena as compared to Shelby V5 that we’re running now:
- Web-based – access from anywhere with improved usability
- Greatly improved management reporting
- Improved congregant connection and re-connection process
- Improved management of confidential notes about people
- Improved management of prayer requests
- Integrated event registration
- Integrated small group management
- Integrated mapping of households
- On-line giving
At the end of the day, our decision was strongly influenced by Arena’s .NET platform, the ability to get the source code and create our own extensions and modifications, and the Arena Community. Though it’s still based on commercial, for-profit technology, the Arena Community represents a very promising first step toward the open ChMS marketplace I spoke about last year. Although there are many ways the Community can get off track and ultimately fail to reach its potential, the opportunity to get involved in this is just too compelling to ignore.
Alfred, it’s going to be an adventure. Let’s hope to have some fun along the way too, if that’s not too much to ask. 😉
Welcome to the community!
Its great to see another church joining the Arena Community!
I echo the “welcome” and indeed… we should have fun along the way.